(1) The staff member responsible for the daily direct care and supervision of the children shall be at least 21 years of age and shall have at least a high school diploma or equivalency diploma, 465 IAC 2-10-50, 2-12-50).
The staff person shall be of adult maturity with a flexible, tolerant and cooperative personality. The Child Care Worker shall have a capacity to be warm and affectionate with the children and also an ability to set limits and maintain a parental role.
(2) The Child Care Worker shall provide service to the children as both a teacher and a child care staff. As a teacher the staff person shall be equipped by education, training, skill and experience to provide for the child’s proper training and development.
(3) Current training in first aid procedures, particularly control of bleeding, treatment of shock, artificial respiration, poisoning, choking and seizures, prior to giving care.
(4) Staff person must meet all health and background requirements as promulgated by the Indiana Department of Child Services.
(5) Staff person must participate in staff training. Full-time staff must obtain a minimum of 20 clock hours of training during each full year of employment. Part-time staff must obtain 10 clock hours of training during each full year of employment. (465 IAC 2-10-54, 2-12-54)
With training and supervision staff shall demonstrate competency in the following areas:
• Administrative procedures and program goals • Principles, practices of child care
• Family relationships - the impact of separation • Behavior management
• Emergency and safety procedures • Basic first aid techniques
• Identification and reporting of child abuse
Responsibility: The Child Care Worker has responsibility for the day-to-day care and supervision of the children. The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Participation as a team member • child rearing and child care responsibilities
• individualized care • helping in the treatment of a childs problem
• Participation in group activities • providing discipline and guidance
•record keeping • housekeeping as required.
Accountability: The unit Childcare Supervisor supervises The Child Care Worker.
**These responsibilities will apply depending on the shift you are assigned to work
Direct child care
- Provide direct care to children as needed
- Wake children up in the AM / Prepare children for bed in the evening
- Supervise shower/bath time
- Be attentive to all children’s needs (clothing, shoes, food, personal hygiene, etc.)
- Before children go to school, visits or outings please ensure children are properly clothed in regards to the weather (ie. Coats in the winter) and appropriate, modest attire.
- Inter act with all children
- Perform general housekeeping duties as needed and supervise children to learn to complete these duties when applicable
- Wash, dry, fold, and put away a load of clothing before the end of assigned shift.
- Cleanup/ supervise children after mealtime including washing chairs, tables, sweep and take out garbage.
- Assist and teach children to make beds.
- Check and supervise and assist children in all areas (indoor and out) including rooms, vans and yard for any toys or garbage that needs to be cleaned up before leaving the area.
- Assist children with school work and projects.
- Provide first aid as needed.
- Supervise all activities of children indoor and outdoor.
- Assist supervisor and co-workers with any new admissions
- Label children’s items upon admission and when new items/clothing as they are acquired
- Take children to doctor or emergency room as needed
- Must be able to drive a 10 passenger van
- Be aware of medical needs/limitations/allergies
- Dispense and record medication (after being trained by RN)
- Record and verbally relay any incidents to supervisor
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be flexible to work in other areas of the home and for different shifts
- Must work with treatment staff to promote mental/social/emotional/physical health
- Check visit schedules daily
- Treat all children and families with respect
- Maintain confidentiality (HIPPA)