Listed below are the current positions that are available. Click on any of them to display the job description, and a link to an application to download and fill out.
(1) The staff member responsible for the daily direct care and supervision of the children shall be at least 21 years of age and shall have at least a high school diploma or equivalency diploma, 465 IAC 2-10-50, 2-12-50).
The staff person shall be of adult maturity with a flexible, tolerant and cooperative personality. The Child Care Worker shall have a capacity to be warm and affectionate with the children and also an ability to set limits and maintain a parental role.
(2) The Child Care Worker shall provide service to the children as both a teacher and a child care staff. As a teacher the staff person shall be equipped by education, training, skill and experience to provide for the child’s proper training and development.
(3) Current training in first aid procedures, particularly control of bleeding, treatment of shock, artificial respiration, poisoning, choking and seizures, prior to giving care.
(4) Staff person must meet all health and background requirements as promulgated by the Indiana Department of Child Services.
(5) Staff person must participate in staff training. Full-time staff must obtain a minimum of 20 clock hours of training during each full year of employment. Part-time staff must obtain 10 clock hours of training during each full year of employment. (465 IAC 2-10-54, 2-12-54)
With training and supervision staff shall demonstrate competency in the following areas:
• Administrative procedures and program goals • Principles, practices of child care
• Family relationships - the impact of separation • Behavior management
• Emergency and safety procedures • Basic first aid techniques
• Identification and reporting of child abuse
Responsibility: The Child Care Worker has responsibility for the day-to-day care and supervision of the children. The responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
• Participation as a team member • child rearing and child care responsibilities
• individualized care • helping in the treatment of a childs problem
• Participation in group activities • providing discipline and guidance
•record keeping • housekeeping as required.
Accountability: The unit Childcare Supervisor supervises The Child Care Worker.
**These responsibilities will apply depending on the shift you are assigned to work
Direct child care
The Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus seek an individual to help lead their Christian ministry to provide care to children and families in crisis.
Residential Care for Children
The St. Joseph's Carmelite Home is owned and operated by the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus. The Home was established in East Chicago, Indiana and services to children and families has been provided continuously since 1913. The Carmelite Sisters and staff provide emergency shelter care; residential care and teen mom and baby care for youth from birth through age 18. Boys from birth through age 14 are provided service.
License and Accreditation
The Carmelite Home is licensed by the Indiana Department of Child Services and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Services – CARF.
Professional License Requirement
An active Indiana Behavioral Health and Human Services License in one of the following areas; Marriage and Family Therapy, Social Work (Masters level) or Mental Health Counseling.
Management experience required.
Collaborate with Carmelite Sisters, childcare, health care, financial and maintenance supervisors.
Qualifications: The staff member must be at least 21 years of age and must have a matrure character. A basic knowledge in the area of food preperation and in the area of the proper care of utensils and equipent is necessary.
Repsonsibilities: The duties of the Kitchen Assistane include but are not limited to the following:
* assisting in food preoaration
* assisting in food cooking
* cleaning of equipment
* general kitchen cleaning
* dish and utensil cleaning
Accountability: The Kitchen Assistant is supervised by the Head Cook.
Qualifications: As descibed in Title 470, Indiana Administrative Code, 2-9-49, 2-10-49.
Possess an active LSW, LCSW, LMFT, LMHC
The staff person responsible for counseling children and their families shall have:
(1) a master's degree in social work or a master's degree in social work, psychology, or counseling an accredited school
Responsibility: The Therapist shall have the responsibility for implementing and supervising the individualized service plan for children under his or her care. Duties include but are not limited to:
* the development of treatment plans for the children
* trained in the Mindlinc Electronic Record System
* CANS/ANSA Certification
* trained in Evidence Base Therapy Models - Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (Qualified Behavioral Health Provider) and Positive Behavioral Interventions
* facilitation of admission, service review and discharge conferences
* the provision of direct services such as individual, group and family treatment
* scheduling and management of family visitation
* the maintenance of a caseload with related responsibilities such as home visits, school conferences, administrative reviews and court reviews
* the maintenance of all case related written documents such as admissions assessments, service plans and monthly review reports
* written documents shall be done utilizing the computerized client information system
Accountability: The Therapist is accountable to the Chief Administrator and DIrector
Please Help the Children at St. Joseph's Carmelite Home. Your love, support and prayers make it happen.DONATE
Your volunteerism is cherished. The most precious gift you give may be your time. Contact us to discuss how your talents may be best used.VOLUNTEER
Offering Professional, Loving Care. Your love, support and prayers make it happen.JOIN OUR STAFF
The Carmelite Home will accept referrals from Indiana Department of Child Services case workers every day of the year and 24 hours a day. We open our Home whenever there is an emergency and a child needs a safe place to stay.